Friday 23 July 2010

bread with homemade blueberry jam, cream cheese bread

趕時間, 今次用英文寫, 請見諒.

There were two boxes of blueberries inside my freezer for a really long time (bought them during promotion).  I've almost forgotten about them until last week when we have to start clearing the fridge in preparation for the move. 

Got inspired by Apelles to make blueberry jam using the frozen berries.  Using Delia Smith's strawberry jam recipe as a guide, I made the blueberry jam using berry: sugar ratio of around 2:1.

If you wonder how to decide when to stop cooking the blueberry sugar mixture, Delia Smith described a method that you can follow.  Before you starting cooking the fruits, place a few saucers in the freezer.  When you're ready to test for doneness, take one saucer out from the freezer, place a tiny bit of the jam on it, wait a couple of minutes and push it lightly with your finger, if the top forms a crinkled film, then it's done.  If not, continue to boil the jam for another 4-5 minutes before testing again. 

Being really lazy (and really busy), I didn't do the test at all.  I just stopped cooking when I felt that it was a little bit less runny.  I didn't have the patience to wait till all the berries became mashy.  Luckily the jam set upon cooling and even before I placed it inside the fridge.  So here is my first ever homemade jam.  A little too sweet for my liking but my family seems to think that it's fine because they all have sweet teeth.




I used the jam to make blueberry jam bread for my son to bring to school.  The brown bits were chocolate chips because half of the rolls were blueberry jam filling and half with chocolate chips.


Finally, I made some cream cheese buns for my own breakfast.  I tried to make the flower basket again, the look has improved a little from the first time but there's still room for improvement.


The cream cheese filling is very yummy but fattening so I won't be making these again for a very long while.

2 comments:

  1.  Happy packing this weekend, miss you tomorrow!
    [版主回覆07/25/2010 11:53:00]Thanks, Mommy.  I wish I were there last night!  I missed all the great food and company. 

    ReplyDelete
  2.  你既果醬真係好掂咁呀!!一定好好味~~
    [版主回覆07/25/2010 11:58:00]你啲掂得多啦!  初時就咁試覺得太甜, 但原來用嚟搽麵包又ok喎, 整嗰半樽都差唔多食晒lu. 

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...